S. Bento Train Station is located in the one of the oldest parishes of Oporto city. It was identified by the Travel and Leisure Magazine as one of the 16th most beautiful in the world, due to its wall tiles. It was inaugurated in 1916.
It’s the city’s central station, close to the City Hall and the main shopping streets. Due to its location, between the medieval and the modern city, it combines the local population (with strong cultural identity), the downtown’s workers and the youths that seek its night life.
The surrounding area is also characterized by a diversity of enterprises and populations. If it’s possible to identify shops and services oriented to tourists and the downtown workers in the front of the station, the sideways reveals a different reality. Due to a higher invisibility, the sideways discloses the street prostitution, immigrant shops, trinket shops, taverns, etc.