The European Anti-Poverty Network / Portugal is a network of groups (associations) and individuals whose main purpose is to fight poverty and social exclusion. EAPN Portugal has been established as a non-governmental organization, which privileges information, training and research as key areas of action.
Its mission is to contribute for the construction of a more just and fair society, in which all the citizens are co-responsible for a dignify life, based on the respect of Human Rights and a informed, participated and inclusive citizenship.
In 2010 EAPN Portugal was awarded with the Human Rights Price by the National Parliament.
In the development of its work, EAPN Portugal works to achieve the following objectives:
- Establish/encourage an interaction (network) between grassroots organizations, groups or individuals who work to poverty and social exclusion eradication;
- Contribute to the definition and implementation of social action programs and policies;
- Promote and enhance the effectiveness of policies to combat poverty and social exclusion;
- Promote and encourage innovative actions in order to fight poverty and social exclusion;
- Lobby for and with the most vulnerable groups or individuals;
- Promote social integration and cultural, economic, moral and physical development of those who experience poverty and social exclusion.
- Act, through projects and different actions, to promote equal opportunities for all.
Its philosophy of intervention is based in the following principles: